Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) is all set to launch its 11 Massive open online courses MOOC. Minister of State HRD, Mahendra Nath Pandey, has made the announcement at the 30th convocation ceremony of the university. stating the fact that such initiatives will help university increase its area of scope in distance learning space.
Pandey also said that MHRD has given the channels of 'Swayam' and 'Swayamprabha' to IGNOU so that it can bring about a revolution in higher education in the country.
Also Read: Budget 2017 : Important Announcements For Education Sector And Student In Specific
What is 'Swayam' and 'Swayamprabha'?
- 'Swayamprabha' is a bouquet of 32 direct-to-home (DTH) educational channels launched by MHRD last year to broadcast educational programmes for school and university students.
- The programmes broadcasted on these channels are based on content prepared by IIT professors and other subject experts.
- The university has introduced 11 MOOCs out of which two, Certificate course in Russian and Certificate course in e-learning, are already functional.
- IGNOU has plan plan to roll out the rest nine courses by the end of this month.
- The university will roll out 44 more MOOCs in next three months.
- At the convocation, students from more than 200 courses were presented with 120 PhDs, 10 MPhils and 66 Gold Medals.
Other Related News:
- IGNOU's Online admission process has also gained a welcoming response from students.
- As many as 1,53,454 students took admission through online mode for the January 2017 cycle.
With Inputs from PTI