The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) was founded in 1909 as a result of the joint efforts of Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata, the Government of India, and the Maharaja of Mysore. In 1886, Jamsetji Tata conceived of a university of science that will work for the benefit of India, and in 1898 created an endowment for establishing such an institution.
The Government of India then took up the effort, and, in consultation with scientists in England and in India, decided to locate the Institute in Bengaluru, where the Maharaja of Mysore, Shri Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, donated 372 Acres of land. The Institute was formally vested in 1909, the foundation stone was laid in 1911, and the first batch of students started their studies in the same year.
|Name||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|Area Covered||1900 Acres|
|Address||Indian Institute of Science, Banglore
City- Bangalore , State- Karnataka, 560012
|Landline||080 2293 2004|
|Space Covered||1900 Acres|